Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Constant improvement

Well. Since my last post not too many things have happened; however a lot of things for me to reflect upon.

Main things to point out is:
 - Attended my first shiai since starting Kendo again; the USYD Cup - Kendo for a cause
 - Had Jigeiko with people I had trained with previously
 - Beginners at the UWS Kendo Club have now started to wear bogu; so more jigeiko at training! And also having a lot more visitors from other clubs as well; including SKC, USYD & UTS.

My performance at the USYD Cup left a lot to be desired for. I was out of practice; that was clear. My gauge of distance has deteriorated, zanshin isn't as good, and my seme as well ability to control the match has decreased.

Comments from the UTS Sensei was that with my debana kote's, I was fumikomi'ing down into the ground, rather then forward which is why my zanshin was lacking and why I was getting hit a lot. My timing is ok. Distance needs to be worked on but my zanshin with the cut needs to go forward.

I also found that my cuts were not that 'crisp' and clear which is why I didn't score any ippon besides the one against my first match. I need to do more suburi, relax my shoulders and develop my tenouchi more.


After seeking for more advice about what to focus on and what I can improve on; it's a long list but I have nothing but time:

 - Become more fierce with my seme rather than my sword.
 - Become more in charge of the fight. Rather then being dictated in the fight.
 - Need to work on my kiai; more Hayasuburi with one voice is needed I think.
 - Need to believe in my own cut. Many times where my cut fell short because I was cutting for the sake of cutting and didn't think that I would be able to hit.
 - Zanshin
 - Do not wait too long before striking. Take & make openings.
 - Relax shoulders.
 - Focus on footwork; foot position in kamae (ashigamae); physical and mental balance in Kamae.
 - Focus on weight distribution and the explosiveness of the cut (cutting with the hip rather than arms) to improve zanshin.
 - More suburi, Kihon cuts, kakari-geiko, uchikomi geiko.

I've got a long list to focus on. But one thing at a time.
I guess one training session I'll focus on one issue, next on the other, etc. That is what mokuso is for. Meditating on what we are going to focus on in training. And to gauge how we have done. To settle the mind and spirit before and after training.

No comments: