Sunday, August 30, 2009

Ippo Furyu - A single step without Stopping

Here I write again, after friday training at USYD.

It was quite a different training regime, with the upcoming Uni Games & ACT competition. I would compete, but I have other committments i'm afraid.

Anyway, we started off training with warm up, lasting about 30 minutes or so, and then we had Shiai practice while the beginners sat down and watched us.

Matches came and went in a maximum of 2minute bouts, which was enough for me to work up a sweat. When my match came, I was pumped up. I wasn't thinking of anything, just attacking and showing my spirit, in which both my opponent and I received compliments about from a Sempai. However, one thing that was apparently lacking was zanshin, in respect to our kote strikes.

One thing i'm not sure about what my opponent did, was not maintaining chuudan. I have encountered this technique before, and mainly it was a technique to induce the aite into going for men and then countering that with a debana kote usually. I generally kept my distance where I noticed him creeping closer when employing this technique.

Eventually, I scored a kote off him, and he got a point off me in which the match ended in a draw.

After our shiai practice, it was followed up with Ippon Shobu for 30 seconds with hayasuburi as punishment. I did hayasuburi every rotation unfortunately- mainly drawing but also losing to a person or 2.

This was followed with Free-jigeiko.

One thing that I tried to practice during both Ippon Shobu & Jigeiko, was kote-nuki men. I was able to avoid their kote hits, but wasn't able to push off to complete a good, clean men cut. Oh well, more practice.


This sums it up for now.
My current focus atm is:
- Posture
- Zanshin
- Men cuts (I have been focusing too much on kote cuts lately, so best to go back to the fundamentals)

No comments: